India has traditionally relied on biomass for its energy needs. Various fuels like wood, cow dung, and straws have been regularly used for heat generation. But why is paddy straw not used to produce biomass energy? Paddy straw is one of the agricultural waste. Studies showed that paddy straw is the prominent stubble burnt in north India and is the leading cause of pollution. Thus, the management of using paddy straw as fuel is challenging. Let us understand this in the blog article.
Challenges of paddy straw as a fuel
One of the primary challenges for biomass power generation is the feed and the land required to grow the feed. Similarly, paddy straw proved extremely difficult to burn in most combustion furnaces. It has many challenges as a raw material for fuel.
- Paddy straw has a low calorific value( 3200-3400 kcal/Kg). It leads to the poor efficiency of the fuel.
- It has low bulk density(30-40 kg/m3). As a result, paddy straws are extremely difficult to handle and manage.
- It consists of a high% of Alkali( >15%) and chlorides (0.15%). This high percentage leads to the corrosion and fouling of the boiler parts.
- The high silica content (>70%) of the straw leads to the formation of clinker and slag. It causes erosion of the boiler parts.
- Paddy straw has a high moisture content( >15-18%). It leads to fast degradation in the open. Also, due to high moisture, straws lose their calorific value.
- It’s combustion requires special customise equipment. Thus, corrosion and fouling issues must be taken care of while designing the boiler.
- Paddy straws are difficult to shred and process. A high-quality machine combination gathers and compresses straws into bundles or bales for easy transportation.
Why is Astillas better than rice straw?
With so many disadvantages of using paddy straw as fuel, Steamax has developed an innovative biomass fuel blend, “Astillas”. Astillas is a patent biofuel develop by Steamax. It is develop from natural products like wood, cashew DOC, sawdust, and Cashew nut shell liquid(CNSL).
- The blend generates lesser emissions as compared to other fuels. It burns clean and has better combustion characteristics.
- Astillas burn more efficiently than any other fuel due to their higher calorific value.
- The fuel is manufacture using low-cost local biomass sources at minimal processing.
- Astillas is compatible with most boilers, heaters, and burners.
- It is manufacture from industrial waste, so the fuel availability and properties don’t change with the season.
We supply 5000+ Ton fuel per Month Pan India. Suppose you wish to enquire more about our fuel “Astillas”. Feel free to connect with us anytime at – email@example.com or +91-9315124803.