The younger generation will grow up in a world vastly different from their forefathers. However, there is no fault of theirs. Compared to children born in 1960, new generations born after 2020 will face seven times more intense heat waves. If global warming is limited to a 1.5°C rise by 2050, we can hope for a better future for the children who are not born yet. We, humans, are transforming the planets in such a way that is never seen before. The number of heatwaves in future will depend upon how much we limit emissions.
We cannot manage climate change without moving away from fossil fuels. Thus, we cannot acquire climate targets without taking the ambition. Why can’t we create a comfortable and wholesome environment for our future generation?
Consequences of global warming
Across the world, the climate is altering, which has started an unfavourable effect on the surroundings. As a result-
- Melting of polar ice caps.
- Rising ocean levels.
- Change in the weather pattern.
- Migration of people.
- Air pollution.
- Increase in skin and health issues.
- Extinction of plant and animal species
- Extreme heatwaves
- Increase droughts
- A shift in agriculture pattern.
Impactful ways to reduce global warming
- Reforestation- Trees absorb carbon dioxide as they act as carbon sinks. Cultivating trees can help reduce the number of greenhouse gases in the environment. When trees are grown in a sustainable system, it enhances biodiversity, soil enrichment, food security, economic development, etc.
- Electricity- It is one of the primary causes of greenhouse gas emissions. There is an urgent need to monitor heating appliances as most of them release harmful gases into the atmosphere as they utilise fossil fuels to generate electricity.
- Abandon from fossil fuels- Fossil fuels power plants are one of the primary contributors of carbon dioxide in our surroundings. Investing in cleaner energy resources like biomass fuel will help solve the issue to a greater extent.
- Shop local and sustainable- To reduce carbon footprints, one must always opt for seasonal and local foods. We will be reducing fossil fuels utilisation in transport and cold chain storage by doing so.
- Recycle- Why recycling is so important? When we recycle responsibly and use recycled materials, we are reducing emissions.
Trails towards sustainable future
The most effective way to avoid the negative impacts of heatwaves is to mitigate climate change by reducing greenhouse gases emission. Shifting to renewable energy sources will reduce GHG emissions and localised air pollution within cities. So it is time to divest from fossil fuels and opt for cleaner energy resources. When it comes to tackling climate change, the emphasis should always be on clean energy solutions- the deployment of renewable energy resources.