- Astillas have high calorific value (4500Kcal/kg), low moisture content(<10%), and ash content (<2%).
- Astillas consist of CNSL oil content of below 8% compared to 10-20% in DOC.
- Fuel is prepared with other high-quality local biomass fuels (dried & debarked wood chips, dried sawdust, groundnut shells, etc.)
- The Astillas are relatively safer to handle by bare hands as they have low anacardic acid content than Cashew DOC.
- Astillas have the lowest price per million calories than any other biomass fuel. Therefore, we have been supplying this fuel to industries like Hindustan Unilever, Varun beverages, Coca-Cola, Britannia, etc.
After Vietnam and Nigeria, India is the third-largest producer and processor of cashew shells globally. This cashew comprises 32.5% nut and 67.5% shell. The shell undergoes processing to extract cashew nut shell liquid, and the residue is called cashew deoiled cake or cashew DOC. Cashew DOC undergoes various transformations and processes to produce fuel called “Astillas”.
Processing of Astillas
Firstly, cashew kernels are extracted from the cashew nutshells.
- These shells consist of a high amount of Cashew Nut Shell Oil (15-25%) and anacardic acid.
- The shell undergoes the oil extraction. The oil content in the shell is reduce to less than 5%.
- The deoiled cake still comprises high anacardic acid, making it difficult to use as fuel.
- The deoiled cake then undergoes further processing to reduce the acid content.
- It is mixed with the other locally available biomass like dried sawdust, wood chips etc. It helps in the absorption of excessive oil.
- Finally, it is process further to undergo a screening process.
- The prepared fuel is pack in bags as per requirements.
Technical Aspects of Astillas
How do Astillas Differ from Cashew DOC?
- Reduced Acidity- The oil content of the fuel is below 5%, whereas Cashew DOC consists of about 10-20% oil. Since this oil is acidic, it poses a severe threat to the worker’s safety, the environment, and the furnace linings of the combustion chamber.
- Clean combustion- Astillas burn clean and entirely without leaving any black or acidic smoke traces.
- Safety concern- Reduced acidity improves worker protection and does not impact the life of the equipment. The Astillas are much safer to be managed by bare hands, unlike cashew DOC.
Astillas Vs Pellets Vs Briquette
How Astillas are fast replacing other biofuels?
We supply fuel to industries like Hindustan Unilever, Varun beverages, Coca-Cola, Britannia, Varun beverages, Calderys, MMG Healthcare, etc. We supply 5000+ Ton fuel per Month Pan India.
Let us hear from our clients
1. Mahadev Foods
Mahadev Poha Mill’s company is based out of Bhatapara and manufactures poha. We installed a burner( Renewable Energy Combustor) of Delhi-based Steamax, which has provided excellent results. With their burner and fuel, we have successfully eliminated the extra fumes. Our fuel consumption has reduced by 20-25%. Steamax has given us; that its fuel feeding and combustion system are so good that we have uniform heating throughout the roaster.
2. Diamond beverage limited
We have associated with Steamax since 2017. Steamax has been taking care of our fuel and steam requirements for our Kolkata region. We successfully shifted to clean fuel Astillas, a clean biomass fuel, with their support. It aligns with the pollution control norms and proves to be the perfect fuel for our system due to its high calorific value and negligible ash content. We are happy with the company’s commitment to us, and we look forward to continuing our association in future.