Biomass is considered carbon neutral because it emits the same amount of carbon when combusted as it absorbs during its lifetime. If it is not utilise as a fuel, it will still emit the same amount of carbon if it decomposes naturally. However, a lot depends on the fuel source, the processing involved, and the method of biomass utilisation. Here in this blog, we will understand the challenges of using wood chips as fuel.
Wood Chips as a fuel
Wood is available abundantly all over the country. It is not only readily available, but it has good combustion properties as well. It has a high calorific value (>4000 Kcal/kg) and low ash content (<3%). In rural areas, it is still utilise as a primary fuel source. However, with all these benefits, it has several drawbacks too.
- Most wood-based fuels are derived from illegally procure wood. Many chipping mills do not have clearances from forest departments. It, therefore, is not a sustainable way to move forward.
- Wood naturally consists of high moisture content (40-60%). When it chips the moisture remains intact. It, in turn, increases transportation costs.
- Th high moisture content also affects the system’s performance because the furnace’s moisture temperature drops down, and thus, the pollution emissions from the boilers increase.
- Using it as fuel leads to an increase in deforestation activities. Thus, using it as a fuel is in no way sustainable.
Why is Astillas more sustainable than wood chips?
Most wood-based biofuels are not carbon-neutral. Biomass needs the right combustion system. If the combustion parameters are not well control, it can lead to high particulate and CO emissions.
Looking into the above, Steamax created a fuel blend, “Astillas”.
- Astillas have better combustion characteristics, high calorific value and low ash content.
- It is manufacture from cashew nut shells which are industrial wastes.
- Astillas is compatible with most boilers, heaters, and burners.
- The fuel is manufacture using low-cost local biomass sources at minimal processing.
At Steamax, developing new and cost-effective fuels is the topmost priority. We take charge of your every problem, from equipment to fuel supply to operation and maintenance. Are you ready to make the switch? Contact us today for more information.